|TOWN OF WEBB HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION|
|P. O. Box 513, Old Forge, NY 13420 ~ Phone/Fax: 315 369-3838|
|Museum Hours: Tuesday through Saturday - 10am - 3pm ~ or by appointment|
Original Old Forge Fire Department Station on Crosby Blvd. - built in 1911 by local contractor George Goodsell. The building today is the home of Nathan's Bakery.
|Old Forge Firemen on Parade in June of 1939 in their vintage 1906 Cadillac Squad Car. The parade was held during the 6th Annual Herkimer Co. Convention held in Old Forge that year.|
|50th Anniversary Photo taken May 18, 1957|
S. Herman, W. Ball,
A. Armstrong, W. Peacock, C. Barker, L. Helmer, A. Wright, D.
Beckingham, F. Farmer, C. Pfaff, E. Denio, E. Glenn, E. Hurley, J.
Lindsay, R. Schmuck, P. Smith, A. Brussel Jr., A. Eyre Sr., F. Ritz,
R. Smith, R. Perkins, R. Hurlbut, E. Madore, J. Simpson,
|75th Anniversary Photo - May 18, 1982|
Front Row: Bill
Peacock, Bob Pashley, Joe Lindsay, Ed DeLong, Carleton Barker, Floyd
Farmer, Brate Huguenin, John Ritz, Len Helmer, Ken Rivett, Ellis
Denio, Chuck Gebhardt, Sam Herman, Doc Emerson, Daryl Carman, Pat
Russell, Gary Russell, Dave Langworthy.
|100th Anniversary Photo - May 18th, 2007|
Seated Front Row:
Frank Ritz, Al Brussel, Bob Watson, Jack Ball, Ron Hollister, Art
Eyre, Bob Lowenberg, Tom Deis, & Ray Carr
Death in the Line of Duty
While responding to a fire in Thendara, Old Forge Fire Chief Leroy Schmuck suffered a heart attack that resulted in his death the following day, June 28, 1965. The tragic event marked the first and only time during the past 100 years that an Old Forge Fire Department member has lost his life in the line of duty. Leroy joined the department in July of 1955, served as an Assistant Fire Chief for several years, and was elected Fire Chief by his comrades at their annual meeting in April of 1963. He had lived in the Old Forge area for 17 years with his wife Ruth and their six children and was employed by the Old Forge Supply Co. Chief Schmuck was only 46 years old at the time of his death. A fire department honor guard and large contingent of firemen throughout the North Country attended his funeral at Niccolls Church on July 1, 1965. In the front entryway of the Old Forge Fire Department today is an engraved bronze plaque erected in honor of the ultimate sacrifice Leroy made in service to the Old Forge community.
Leroy Schmuck’s wife Ruth died in 2002. Their children contacted Old Forge Fire Department secretary Tony Tormey soon afterward with a request to help them put in an application to have their father’s name added to the Fallen Firefighter’s Memorial in Albany, NY. In October of 2005, Leroy Schmuck’s name was added to the wall along with ten other NYS firemen who lost their lives in the line of duty. Hundreds of firefighters and their families from all across the States, including Leroy’s son & five daughters, his brother, and an honor guard of Old Forge firemen, attended the memorable ceremony officiated by Governor George Pataki.
50 Years of Service —
Old Forge Fire Department Honor Role
* 2007 Current Members
W. Lewis Armstrong ~ 10/1/1930
|Charles Gebhardt ~ 4/15/1930||Walter D. Marks ~ 5/18/1907|
|William S. Ball ~ 10/2/1924||Earl S. Glenn ~ 8/1/1908||Robert Pashley ~ 11/1/1944|
|Albert W. Brussel* ~ 2/5/1947||Wilfred Hall ~ 9/4/1946||William Peacock* ~ 6/6/1951|
E. Albert Brussel ~ 4/6/1938
|Leonard D. Helmer ~ 1/4/1930||Robert Pearsall ~ 6/6/1951|
|John E. Burnett ~ 8/6/1944||David Hollister* ~ 1/7/1948||Eugene Pelletier ~ 8/4/1954|
|Robert Crofut* ~ 7/7/1943||Keith Hollister* ~ 9/16/1944||Frank C. Ritz Jr.* ~ 10/3/1939|
|Leroy Deis ~ 9/1/1937||Ronald Hollister* ~ 12/2/1953||Danforth J. Rivet Sr. ~ 10/6/1937|
|Tom Deis* ~ 10/7/1953||Charles Joy ~ 2/4/1943||Kennith Rivett ~ 6/6/1923|
|Art Eyre Jr.* ~ 4/6/1949||
Charles W. Kiefer Sr.* ~ 7/7/1943
|Kenneth Russell* ~ 5/2/1951|
|Floyd D. Farmer ~ 3/4/1925||Joseph E. Lindsay ~ 4/7/1937||Robert Watson* ~ 4/6/1949|
|Larry Gaudin ~ 12/6/1950||Robert N. Lindsay Jr. ~ 3/5/1952|
HERE to view the
1907 - 2007 Old Forge Fire Department Roster in PDF format.
Over 600 names: * marks 2007 Current Members
Photo below of the present fire station built in 1949
|Goodsell Museum ~ TOWN OF WEBB HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION|
|Information provided is from the best knows sources and is subject to change.||Permission to copy any or all of this document must be obtained in writing by contacting the Town of Webb Historical Association, P. O. Box 513, Old Forge, NY 13420|
|These records are provided for not-for-profit research purposes only.|
|Please contact the Historical Association’s Director at 315-369-3838 or by E-Mail. To share additional information about information that can be added to our files.|
|Use BACK button to return to previous page or click HOME LINK.|